What makes Tuckpointing Necessary?
Do you know what can happen if mortar joints become damaged and are left unattended to? They may deteriorate to the point of causing a fireplace collapse and subsequently needing a complete rebuild project. The most cost-effective alternative that a homeowner can take is to complete masonry repair Chicago the affected areas via tuckpointing. This allows for the cost of chimney repair to be far less than a rebuild.
Mortar has a much shorter lifespan and depending on how exposed the masonry is to excess water and other harsh conditions can last about 25 years. On the other hand, bricks on a chimney last for around a century. Homeowners are often recommended to install a cricket, a compact diversion roof that prevents the chimney from being overran during rainy weather. The roof’s position and layout can also have significant effects on how saturated the chimney may get, leading to dreaded corrosion of the mortar joints.
What is the Tuckpointing Process?
The basic concept necessary to know about tuckpointing is that it removes damaged mortar and replaces it with fresh mortar. The primary steps for completing tuckpointing on a red brick chimney would involve the following:
- Steering out or grounding the old mortar at an even depth.
- Filling in the newly routed grooves with red mortar.
- Form grooves down the middle of the red mortar by cutting thin strips into it.
- Matching the original mortar on the outside of the structure by filling in the grooves with its corresponding mortar color.
If you are looking to preserve your chimney’s lifespan, tuckpointing is an essential project to undertake. Numerous benefits for your chimney include but are not limited to:
- Improvement on your home’s value by having its masonry Chicago in top condition.
- Avoiding the expense of a complete chimney replacement since completely tearing down and rebuilding a chimney structure is a far greater expense than tuckpointing is.
- Repairing mortar joints prevents water from entering into the chimney system which can seep down the chimney and sometimes between the chimney and the flue lining, causing effects from moisture such as mildew and mold formations, as well as rotting wood. Moisture can also cause stains on ceilings and wallpaper in proximity of the chimney.
- Mortar joint erosion is stopped, preventing further damage.
- Structural stability of the chimney is restored once mortar joints are repaired. Failure to do so can lead to a weakened chimney structure; eventually leading to leaning or even collapsing.
- Restoration of your chimney’s masonry materials to their original condition and splendor.
- Reliable advice you can confide in, given to you when you come in contact with our team of professional masonry contractors.
No need to worry about being trapped into hiring an unprofessional that makes you pay upfront for an ineffective chimney repair or never actually get the job done. The chimney sweep business is currently not regulated; therefore, anyone can open a shop without having any prior knowledge or experience. set up shop to perform the work, even without prior experience or any knowledge. Best Masonry Inc. gladly answer all your questions and outline a trusted assessment that will help you make the best decision if, or what, tuckpointing Chicago service is needed to improve your chimney and venting systems.